Saturday, September 15, 2007

"whacko" thyroid

I had a follow-up doctor appointment this Friday morning. The doctor informed me that my TSH level is 4.65 -- slightly less than one point inside the "normal range" on the high end. Now, I had Graves Disease back in 1997-98 and was treated and made a "full" recovery in a short time. My doctor at that time told me that people who get Graves Disease invariably get hypothyroid at some time in the future after recovering. So, I am a bit perplexed as to how/why my TSH is getting high. The doctor said that sometimes people with/tending toward hyperthyroid have a "subclinical" hypothyroid. That doesn't make sense to me. I just didn't even ask for an explanation. I probably wouldn't understand it, anyway. Back in 1998-99 when I recovered from Graves Disease, my TSH levels were in the normal range, but just barely, and at the low end of the range. So, I guess they have been slowly rising since then. The doctor seemed a bit concerned, which concerned me. I will go back in six months for more bloodwork. I have to admit that I'm a bit frightened at this.

This rising TSH certainly would explain the insomnia, short temper, increased dream activity, fatigue, and nervousness I've been feeling these past several months.

No comments:

Post a Comment