Tuesday, January 05, 2010

"Gone Huntin'"

Today I am watching my baby granddaughter, and while she is taking a nap, I watched a TV show called "Gone Huntin'" on Untamed Sports TV. I like to watch outdoors shows, and hunting shows fascinate me, but I don't think I could ever shoot a deer. Maybe if I or my family really needed the food, or if the deer were threatening, I could shoot it. The hunters on this show shot a buck that had five prongs on each antler. I don't know if you'd say the deer had 5 or 10 prongs in this case. I am truly not a hunter. It was a beautiful animal. Anyway, I love watching these shows because I get to see different parts of the country, and they are so quiet and peaceful. I knew someone once who hunted for meat. She would write about being "out there" just before and at dawn when the air is crisp and wispy with morning fog. It's a wonderful time to sit and admire the beauty of nature and listen to the quiet and let it seep into your heart and soul. At such a time and such a place I would imagine that one could find peace and solutions to the everyday stresses and problems of life. I have been thinking of taking a page out of her book and spending some time in my own piney woods, but the only "shots" I would take would be with my camera. Only, I wonder how she managed to keep warm sitting out there in the morning fog watching the sun rise? I guess I will have to wait another month or two until the temperatures are warmer. Until then, I will have to content myself with brief forays into the woods. Maybe tomorrow when I am home I can get up there for a while.

1 comment: